[lbo-talk] Coates on music

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu May 8 16:29:58 PDT 2008

i'll have to scan Coates' article on Cosby in The Atlantic Monthly, "This is how we lost to the White Man." In it, Coates takes Cosby to task for his unrelenting self-help conservatism and yet notes that Cosby, when pressed as to who he supports, said he was for Kucinich, and won't say now b/c, like a lot of black folks, he finds the question impertinent. As in, "how dare it be assumed that I'd support Obama out of racial solidarity. How dare I be boxed in like that!"

Coates also mentions that, when he ripped Cosby a new one, denoucing Cosby as an "elitist" in an article Coates wrote shortly after the infamous "poundcake speech," his former Panther father "upbraided" him "for attacking what he saw as a message of black empowerment. Cosby's argument had resonated with the black mainstream for just that reason.

ISTR, Doug, that you read Lawrence Otis Graham's _Our Kind of People_. Well, that makes a lot of this crystal clear, I think.

I'm not ragging terribly much on Coates here because I think he's accurately describing a phenom -- something akin to a discussion we had years ago about feminism and recognizing progress.