[lbo-talk] also posted without comment

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri May 9 02:19:06 PDT 2008

> <http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters/318585/
> a_change_is_gonna_come>
>
> 'A Change is Gonna Come'
> posted by KATRINA VANDEN HEUVEL on 05/06/2008 @ 9:55pm
>
> American Idol finalist Syesha Mercado had just finished singing Sam
> Cooke's 1964 classic "A Change is Gonna Come" when Obama strode onto
> the stage in Raleigh, North Carolina.
>
> Syesha wept, as she reminded Randy, Paula and Simon of the civil
> rights movement which fueled Cooke's song, life and power.

It is appropriate that this piece opens with "An American Idol" finalist, because the whole thing is an exercise in idolatry. How did KVH become so star-struck? It's creepy. As if she would faint when Leonardo DiCaprio walks into the room and believe that such is the recommended position of an independent minded person.

When I ask how KVH became so star-struck it is a serious question. I am really curious about the social phenomena of "charisma" and idol worship. So if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

Maybe liberals should reintroduce Dionysian cult rituals to inoculate them from this kind of idolatry.

Jerry