[lbo-talk] also posted without comment

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Fri May 9 08:35:25 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:10 AM, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:

> I still remember amy's smile when she hosted willy nelson. Don't you
> have any heroes?
>
> martin

No.

People I admire yes. Heroes no.

Línjì Yìxuán, (9th Century CE) a Zen Buddhist master once said: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha." The idea is that all personality cults and charismatic movements defeat free thought.

The phenomena of "cult of personality" (charisma, the star system, irrational authority) is something that we should fight against, though I think to a certain extent such personality cults are part of what it means to be human. Heroism itself is a special form of the cult of personality and the striving for dominance.

All heroes should have their own circle of hell very close to the traitors.

Jerry