[lbo-talk] so much for the new coalition...

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:24:52 PDT 2008

Charles:

The mocking term "corona" is as inaccurate in the cynical direction as "movement" is in the "mania" direction. It doesn't make sense to try to compensate for overstatements like "movement" in the positive direction by making overstatements in a mocking direction like "corona".

"Corona" as in the corona of light which surrounds a gravitational singularity -- it's super-bright, intense and quite real. Now watch carefully, a metaphor linkage is coming.

Similar, you see, to the "corona" of energy which orbits the Obama campaign (now I understand the old Steve Martin joke about having to explain comedy to Germans -- or was that Woody Allen? Only this time, it's science baby, sweet lady science).

So now you're critiquing every word, searching for hidden meanings and subtle insults instead of taking things at face value?

Creepy.

But in a way, a good thing because it convinces me that it really is time to stop talking about Obama. Marvin's in one corner accusing me of helping Republicans, if only rhetorically. Meanwhile, like a scruffy Rommel, CB is attempting a pincer movement, using words which should be taken straightforwardly to be indications of sinister motives. To quote Jordan in a different thread "a break, I need."

So, no more from me. I luxuriate in my Dolce suit, sipping Korean sweet potato wine at 30,000 feet, wishing everyone everywhere the best of luck with everything.

In other news...

My techie/engineer prejudice against noodle-headed academics is back, and more prejudice-y than ever!

.d.