[lbo-talk] waiting for the quantitative to turn into the qualitative

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Fri May 9 17:27:05 PDT 2008

Julio, the danger of this analogy is that gold is able to function as money due to its ability to operate as an empty signifier due to its divisibility, its ability to be radically reshaped, and its permanence. This is linked to a fetishistic libidinal investment in its preciousness. I'm not sure this helps your case all that much. At best you could say that if there was a big social movement, gold equivalent Obama would mold himself to it, which would mean you needed the movement before the candidate. robert wood