[lbo-talk] Getting some business that Magic Barry ain't got

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 9 18:18:15 PDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 7:58 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Hey, I got an idea! A.R. Ammons put it nicely - the way to be a
>> leader
>> is to get in front of whatever crowd is moving and wave your arms
>> around. That's much more fun than tailism, for sure.
>
> Wouldn't such a person be immediately eviscerated in these environs
> for
> losing their critical faculties? Since such arm waving is mainly
> linguistic gestures of enthusiasm.

I was kidding.

If I were to give a serious answer to Charles's question it'd be to organize around specific issues, like single-payer health care, both to achieve the specific goal and to build a movement, and forget (for now) the presidency. The president of the U.S. is, as the Sparts like to say, the chief executive of the world bourgeoisie. That's not an office we should be focusing on

Doug