[lbo-talk] taxation on labour or capital?

Mike Beggs M.Beggs at econ.usyd.edu.au
Fri May 9 19:13:39 PDT 2008

Bill Bartlett wrote:

>>The room to move is restricted severely by the competitive context.
>>Boss (a) might be a generous boss, but if he has to compete against
>>Boss (b) who has a lower cost of production, his only room for
>>manouever is the breadth of his own profit margin.

But the bosses are also competing against each other for labour in the labour market, so they may have to try to outbid each other, raising the wage. This is a fairly normal state of affairs too at certain points in the business cycle, reserve army of labour notwithstanding.

>>All this is elementary. So where's this room to move that you speak
>>of? Where's this capacity to pay higher wages than are necessary to
>>recruit the labour necessary? How is it theoretically possible to pay
>>more wages than you need to, more wages than you have to, without
>>going broke in the end?

Well the point is that they may need to pay higher wages than the current going wage because they are recruiting from a limited labour pool in competition with other employers.

>>Well sure. If the market isn't competitive, then limits only apply at
>>the upper and lower extremes of what is materially possible. But its
>>a lowest common denominator situation isn't it. If the whole world
>>agrees to stifle the market, it can work. But (in the context of a
>>privately owned means of production) all it takes is one or two rebel
>>jurisdictions to break up the party, to re-introduce competition.

It doesn't take cartel or monopolistic behaviour to enable firms to pass on costs in prices though. If all firms in an industry have the same tax applied, no-one's in a position to start price-cutting competition, unless they already were before the tax. How much of the tax they pass on in price increases depends on things like the price-elasticity of demand for the product, on the overall effect of the price increase on revenue. Of course, in reality, all firms in an industry will not have the same tax applied because they will be in different countries. But these other factors are still relevant.

So I don't agree that "in the context of market forces, taxes are at the expenses of profit." It depends on the market forces. I don't think there's a simple binary between 'market forces' and 'monopoly'. Competition is always in effect, but in complex ways.

>>>Actually, Australia under the Accord in the 1980s provided an
>>>interesting little example - where income tax cuts and superannuation
>>>benefits were traded to workers explicitly in return for wage
restraint.

>>Yep. Good example of what I was saying. Income tax cut = wage cut.
>>It was explicit there, but it is always at least implicit that an
>>income tax cut will be the basis of a corresponding wage cut, or
>>alternative to an otherwise unavoidable wage rise.

It's debatable as to how it worked out in practice though. That was the rhetoric, but it simply wasn't in the power of the government or unions alone to determine the ultimate effect on real wages.

Cheers, Mike Beggs scandalum.wordpress.com