[lbo-talk] Getting some business that Magic Barry ain't got

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 10 12:12:58 PDT 2008

On May 10, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Julio Huato wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> If I were to give a serious answer to Charles's question it'd be to
>> organize around specific issues, like single-payer health care, both
>> to achieve the specific goal and to build a movement, and forget (for
>> now) the presidency. The president of the U.S. is, as the Sparts like
>> to say, the chief executive of the world bourgeoisie. That's not an
>> office we should be focusing on
>
> But the people who demand specific solutions, like single-payer health
> care, don't seem to think so. People for single-payer health care may
> *not* want to forget the presidency.

Well, I think that's a mistake. It's one thing to yak about presidential politics and another to put work into it. Carrol regularly disparages the sporting match approach to politics - I plead guilty, I enjoy that aspect of it, esp since I don't care much for actual sports. But if we're talking about serious political action, then forget about the presidency. Any occupant of that office is going to be completely overwhelmed by the role that the actual occupant almost become secondary.

Doug