[lbo-talk] Translation help!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun May 11 07:56:43 PDT 2008

The OED lists "kinglet" as "A petty king; a king ruling over a small territory. Mostly contemptuous." It's been an English word since Shakespeare's time (altho' apparently not used by him). A translation of Montaigne from that time has "Cæsar termeth all the Lords ... to be Kinglets, or pettie Kings [= reguli]."

(It's also "A popular name of the Golden-crested Wren, Regulus cristatus: also of two allied N. American species, R. satrapa and R. calendula.") --CGE