[lbo-talk] NASCAR romances

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon May 12 05:09:57 PDT 2008

At 03:07 AM 5/12/2008, Chris Doss wrote:

>I like the covert cat box...

if i had more money than i knew what to do with, i'd so totally buy about, oh, 35% of that stuff. none of it tempts me now, b/c i don't really want to spend money on too much frivolity. still, if i had a truck with a hitch, i'd get one o' them thar truck hitch decorations fersure. shit, i'd have a wreath on the grill at xmas time, too.

also, MP, in your response you suggest that none of here would read a NASCAR romance. Well, I don't think that's exactly true. Part of the reason behind the rise of cultural studies was that people like Steve Rubio from Bad Subjects used to write great stuff about wrestling. A leftist, degreed kinda guy.

Further, and not just to MP, there's a famous cultural studies approach to the study of romance novel reading women, _Reading the Romance_. I've summarized it here before, so search on archives if you're interested. It worth reading about this study b/c it uncovers a distinct subculture in the u.s. and is a demonstration, i think, of carving out some sort of middle path between sneering and uncritical embrace of every cultural product.

Outta time...