[lbo-talk] URPE summer conference

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 12 11:20:55 PDT 2008

[oh, yay!, FOLK MUSIC!]

2008 URPE Summer Conference

Poverty & Unemployment: The Permanent Violence of Capitalism

August 15-18, 2008

Camp Deer Run, Pine Bush, NY

BELOW IS A VERY PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE -- Our full schedule of workshops and meetings will be posted later.

See our Summer Conference webpages -- http://urpe.org/conferences/ summer.html -- for information on the camp: location, directions, facilities, rates, registration form, transportation, etc. While you are there, see our other projects at www.urpe.org.

Contact the URPE National Office if you have further questions: urpe at labornet.org or 413-577-0806

Download and make copies of our flyer -- let others know about our conference! http://urpe.org/conferences/SumFly2008.pdf

PLENARIES AND ENTERTAINMENT

Friday, August 15

POVERTY AND UNEMPLOYMENT ABROAD AND AT HOME: HOW MUCH AND WHY?

Immigration in the Global Economy: World Trends and Comparative State Responses Linda Allegro, University of Tulsa

A Global Analysis of Poverty, Unemployment and Inequality for the Current Period of Neoliberal Globalization Paul Cooney, Universidade Federal de Pará, Brazil

Poverty and Unemployment in Recent US History Tom Masterson, Researcher at the Levy Institute

Caste and Economic Inequality in India Ajit Zacharias, Researcher at the Levy Institute

Saturday, August 16

The DAVID GORDON LECTURE

Guns and Butter Once Again? William A. ("Sandy") Darity, Jr., Arts and Sciences Professor of Public Studies and Professor of African and African American Studies and Economics at Duke University

STRENGTHENING THE POWER OF THE WORKING CLASS: WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T?

Creating a Community Economy: The Alliance to Develop Power's Model of Community Organizing and Cooperative Economic Development Frances Boyes, Organizer for The Alliance to Develop Power

Building the 21st Century Movement for Economic Justice Frank Joyce, RESIST Advisory Board member

How the Current Immigration Reform Attacks US Workers: How Should Workers Organize? Wing Lam, Executive Director, Chinese Staff and Workers' Association Manhattan Chinatown Center

ENTERTAINMENT: Back by popular demand (from us), dance and/or chill out to the phenomenal (it really is) sounds of Soul Purpose. Here's what they say about their band:

DANCE MUSIC is what we play. Combining the impact of a solid rhythm section with dynamic horn lines and a powerful vocal presence, we've been hitting the party, club, festival and wedding scene with a "Soulful" punch since 1998. Our repertoire includes Soul, Motown, Rock, Swing, Blues and Jazz. We play tunes that are irresistible -- fun for both dancers and listeners alike!

Sunday, August 17

ENTERTAINMENT: Radical Folk Music, led by David Laibman and Gil Skillman. Bring your instruments, and be prepared to sing along!