[lbo-talk] Elitism (wasRe: Pokie; Black as inherently second class in America)

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon May 12 13:31:23 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

> Put it this way. Just because you know some person of color who has a snobby attitude toward some poor whites, doesn't mean they are a member of the elite.

Poor people in general, as it happens. And in most cases you're right about elitists of any race; I've met very few of them who were actual elites. Snobbery is a disease of the upper middle class, who generally resent everybody above them as well as below.

> You need a more objective definition of "elitist". The point is that in the US the elite, the ruling class ,is not open for membership to coloreds. It is a Jim Crow system, whites only.

So what are Bob Johnson, Michael Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Oprah Winfrey, etc.?

> Worse, claiming that somebody like Barry is in the "elite" is to take a first step down the slippery slope of one of the worse parts of current racism. It's a self-victimization trope from the KKK , who say things like what Ferraro implied: Black people are now the privileged group or elite and white people are the disadvantaged group relative to Blacks and Hispanics, etc.

Oh, give me a break. Anyone with a serious chance of winning the most powerful elected office in the world is a member of whatever elite exists. That's not a question of race, but rather of common sense. Now if you'll excuse me, my hood and robe need ironing.