[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 09:04:43 PDT 2008

Doug,

It was hard for me to continue reading the piece you posted after I came across this phrase: "So as I sat today in full-lotus listening to Amy Goodman..."

And then the guy -- "druhempel"? -- claims he got into grad school based on his writing about this nonsense. "In 1996 I sent my 'manifesto' to [Slavoj] Zizek, the same work that enabled me to get into grad school...." And now some leftist intellectuals are repressing "the reptilian hind brain." What. the. FUCK?

Have I mentioned I am accumulating a growing body of evidence, both anecdotal and empirical, that the post-grad population is one of the most singularly mentally fucked-up populations I'm aware of...? Earlier I was assailed for not being properly down with the common man because I thought NASCAR Romance novels were a funny idea. Hopefully my feeling this way about post-grads gets me safely back in line with common-folk populism.

Stop repressing my reptilian hind brain,

-B.

Doug Henwood quoted "dru hempel":

"Again this is a FREUDIAN SLIP on Zizek’s part — in fact it represents not just his, but all of patriarchal science’s repression of the Reptilian Brain — the cerebellum and its pineal gland connection. And here I include the patriarchal repressive attack on ecofeminists Vandana Shiva and Helena Norberg-Hodge by the Leftist white male guru Doug Henwood."