[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 13 12:05:20 PDT 2008

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> Actually, its true that there is a high rate of mental illness
> amongst grad students, empirically. Although this might not explain
> the NASCAR debate. robert wood

> > Have I mentioned I am accumulating a growing body of
> > evidence, both anecdotal and empirical, that the
> > post-grad population is one of the most singularly
> > mentally fucked-up populations I'm aware of

(It would help if posters always identified who they are quoting.)

I would question identifying "mentally ill" and "mentally fucked up"; certainly the most mentally fucked up posters on this list are not mentally ill.

There is of course no useful evidence that Sector X of the population is more (or less) "mentally fucked up" than Sector Y, though asserting so exhibits considerable intellectual confusion. It _might_ be possible to make such assertions in respect to mental illness -- except for the lack of any satisfactory and generally accepted criteria for what we mean by mental illness.

Carrol