[lbo-talk] BHO & working-class whites

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 14 04:45:15 PDT 2008

Max: "I've got $20 says Obama wins Pennsylvania in November."

Yes, from over here you have to say that it is remarkable that Obama has got as far as he has. Not wishing to downplay the important struggle against prejudice that his candidacy raises, but still, who would have thought it was possible, even two years ago?

And an America with a black president? That would be some powerful moral authority in the world, to whatever ends it was put. I could not support Obama because of his policies. But I would not underestimate the enormity of the shift in attitudes that his success so far demonstrates.

It says two things to me: that attitudes on race have softened a lot; and that the yearning for leaders who are different from the old set up is pretty strong.