[lbo-talk] bad for the party?

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Wed May 14 11:20:11 PDT 2008

In the past candidates frequently fought tooth and nail up to and including the convention without apparent ill effects in the general election. For instance, in 1952 the fight between Taft and Eisenhower was at least as bitter as Hillary/Obama, yet Ike was able to win the general election in a landslide.

For one thing, a contested convention cannot be stage managed as effectively as one that functions as a coronation and it cannot be predicted in advance what people will say or do. That apparently is scary to the punditry. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>