[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed May 14 13:02:36 PDT 2008

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> At 01:52 PM 5/13/2008, Chris Doss wrote:
>

>> Me too, but still not finishing my diss is one of the
>> greatest regrets of my life.
>>

> Not starting is one of the best decisions I ever made. The only
> reason to write a dissertation is to start a teaching career. If you
> don't want that, which I knew I didn't after a couple years in grad
> school, just walk away Renee.

Not sure I follow that. If you want a research career, you need to finish your dissertation; if you want to teach, especially in the community college setting, the dissertation is irrelevant. Like Chris and Doug, I did not finish my Ph.D., and it has created no real obstacles in my teaching career.

Miles