[lbo-talk] CNA responds on Tenet organizing agreement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 14 13:35:13 PDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 4:21 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

>> With SEIU now helping to reduce that fear, will Bruno
>> support another min wage increase?
>
> Doug, did you even read your original post, which started this thread?
>
> "After helping Democrats in some high-profile Senate contests, the
> influential 1199/SEIU health care union has decided to bet on
> Republicans"
>
> If not, see the New York Times.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/23/nyregion/23union.html
>
>> Of course, SEIU may thing, fuck the minimum wage workers as long as
>> we get a good contract. New frontiers in business unionism....
>
> I dare say 1199 played a bigger role in raising the minimum wage than
> you, by strengthening the WFP through its continued support if nothing
> else. Would it be confrontational for me to suggest you have reached
> new frontiers in self-satisfied wonkery?

I literally don't understand your point at all. If threatening the Rep majority got the Reps to do better things, how will trying to preserve that majority now do any good? Unless they're hoping to get rewarded with nice contracts if Bruno retains his majority, and the rest of the pro-working class agenda can go out the window. That's the only thing that makes any sense to explain this move.

After that move in Puerto Rico, I'm convinced that 1199 will do anything for itself.

Doug