[lbo-talk] Suggested reading critiques of 12 step programs for recovery.

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed May 14 19:15:39 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On May 14, 2008, at 6:28 PM, shag wrote:
>

>>He also pointed out that AA wasn't even as effective as the
>>ubiquity of its
>>treatment recommendation would suggest.
>

> Last I checked, there was almost no data on the effectiveness of any
> addiction treatment programs.

It's not quite that bleak. There is ample evidence in the harm reduction literature that people can learn new behavioral patterns that reduce the health risks of drug use. That said, I know of no compelling research that supports the AA claim that alcoholics must completely abstain from alcohol use to "recover" from alcoholism.

Miles