[lbo-talk] BHO & working-class whites

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:04:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On May 15, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
> > Basically, the calculation is who will kill less people?

I was of course being somewhat provocative and even vulgarly simplistic in stating my reasons for voting or not in this way.

> Well yeah, why not? We can debate which party and/or president has
> presided over the deaths of more people (LBJ's 2 million

You are only talking about Vietnam here. But I think we would have to throw in, at least, the consequences of U.S. policy (and military support and intervention) in Brazil, Haiti, the Dominican Republic, etc. during the same period. Speaking in these terms is of course grotesque. But this would up LBJ's death toll. Remember LBJ ran as the peace candidate among other things.

and Bill
> Clinton's near-1 million thanks to sanctions are hard to beat). But
> McCain professes an absolutely demented foreign policy, which would
> include supporting Georgia in a war with Russia.
>
> Doug

I agree with your statement about McCain. His foreign policy is quite insane. So all in all, by comparison with Obama, I would prefer the "normal" U.S. imperialist to the insane U.S. imperialist. It is the usual grotesque guess one makes when it comes to voting. I sympathize with people who don't vote at all or who only vote for the school board.

Jerry