[lbo-talk] Suggested reading critiques of 12 step programs for recovery.

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 12:00:36 PDT 2008

There's no harm in trying one of these things. Some are good and some are bad. My SO has had a lot of experience with them. She says co-dependence meetings are trickier than others, because some co-dependants go there to meet other co-dependants. The one AA meeting I attended was notable for its honesty and lack of bs. I went to an EST meeting, years ago, and AA ia nothing like that. One panders to you and tells you how beautiful you are, the other shows you what a self-deceiving shit you are. Generally, I think people who stay in AA for years, become "addicted" to it, really have no other choice, so I dont blame them for it.

I decided that admitting there's a "higher power" than me merely meant I didnt have all the answers. That's part of my philosophy of life anyway.

BW

123hop at comcast.net wrote:

I knew a few people who stopped drinking with AA. One was a shrink, one was a lawyer, and one was a truck driver.

The lawyer never drank again, the truck driver relapsed after a few years, and the shrink relapsed after about 20 years.

I think to say that addiction to AA replaces addiction to alcohol is facile. Going to a group meeting a few times a week has a vastly different effect on your health and social relations than drinking yourself into a ditch every night. As for giving yourself up to a higher power: I would guess this has mostly the (salutary) effect of helping you quell the inner conflict about drinking, which is a conflict you will always lose.

Does AA breed some "addictive" type behavior? Sure. But ritual/attachment is a large part of human life. It still matters what your ritual and attachments are. On some level, addiction to exercise is equivalent to addiction to heroin, but I think mostly people appreciate the difference sufficiently to choose exercise if choice is possible.

Living a conscious life free from attachment and ritual is so arduous, that the few who can manage it are (ironically enough) worshipped as demi gods.

Joanna