[lbo-talk] BHO & working-class whites

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri May 16 07:31:00 PDT 2008

=================================== Which is why the "left" (apologies to Carrol), confronting the enormous weight of the dead hand of the past on the living, was early on forced to adapt to religion and nationalism in lieu of direct challenges to these obstacles to science, reason, and internationalism - reworking religious and patriotic themes and imagery to serve popular rather than reactionary causes. Even the most resolutely internationalist and anticlerical movements like the IWW, for instance, presented Jesus as a proletarian militant and injected revolutionary lyrics into traditional Christian hymns to facilitate its organizing. The CPUSA famously (or infamously, depending on your POV) described "Communism as 20th century Americanism" and organized the "Lincoln" and "Washington" brigades to fight in Spain. Other parties and movements across the left-wing political spectrum in all countries employed the same devices, often under pressure from their own members with residual loyalties to church and nation. What Jerry and other exasperated radicals see as duplicity by leftists afraid to show their true colours are more often seen by others active in mass political parties and left-liberal and church-based groups as necessary tactical and rhetorical compromises provoked by the "bedrock stuff" embedded in the culture.