[lbo-talk] 5/23 NYC Event: 'Social Relations and Social Struggle' to Release 'In the Middle of a Whirlwind'

Craig-Jesse Hughes craigjessehughes at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 10:15:42 PDT 2008

Of Friends and Whirlwinds: A Discussion of Social Relations and Social Struggle to Release 'In the Middle of a Whirlwind: 2008 Convention Protests, Movement and Movement.'

Friday, May 23rd / 7pm Bluestockings Books: 172 Allen St. (F Train to 2nd Ave.)

Speakers:

Alex Samets (The Icarus Project [www.theicarusproject.net])

Esteban Kelly (Philly Stands Up [www.phillyspissed.net])

Harmony Goldberg (Right to the City Alliance Resource Person [www.rightothecity.org])

Ben Shepard (NYC Activist and Writer)

Malav Kanuga (Bluestockings Books & Activist Center [www.bluestockings.com])

About the Event:

On May 25th, Team Colors Collective, in collaboration with the Journal of Aesthetics and Protest, will launch a one-off online journal entitled 'In the Middle of a Whirlwind: 2008 Convention Protests, Movement and Movements.' To release the journal and contribute to discussions about movement building we are organizing events around the country. In New York City the release event will focus on issues of social relations and social struggle.

Through a discussion of organizing experiences and analysis of current organizing projects, speakers will address the following questions:

*What is the capacity of our resistance as it is currently constituted? *What role are contemporary social struggles playing in resistance that is simultaneously creative and critical of everyday social relations? *How are contemporary social struggles building power or using tactics that relate to, and intertwine with, people's everyday lives? *How might we further explore and explode these everyday relations in order to unlock the limitless potentialities of new social modalities that reorganize power?

In the Middle of a Whirlwind site: http://www.inthemiddleofawhirlwind.info

Team Colors Collective site: http://www.warmachines.info

Journal of Aesthetics and Protest site: http://www.joaap.org

"Pity the revolution that devours itself in order to obtain victory. Pity the revolution that waits for a final triumph to put its ideals into practice." -Jose Peirats.