[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 14:59:53 PDT 2008

Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

"By the 19th century the two truths of science and art were an established fact."

I have to agree with Carrol. The "truth" of art is a 19th century issue, a minority one at that, and mostly of interest to poets. You find it with tortured artists like Joyce, but you dont think of someone like Dickens, or even Eliot, as worrying about it.

Donne is admittedly a unique case, but not that different from Shakespeare, ransacking all kinds of arcane matter for metaphor.

The important opposition for Science is not Art, but Religion, and other kinds of conventional thinking. The same is true of literature generally. Literature wants to bring unrecognized experience to light; science and religion want to make experience narrower.

BW

By the 19th century the two truths of science and art were an established fact.

In the 17th century you see the beginnings of that distinction. Bacon talks about it, as does Sidney in the Defense of Poesy. And there are lots of others. The whole notion that Donne was reacting to the truth of the scientific revolution also depends on a perceived difference in the 17th century.

Joanna