[lbo-talk] in which I'm accused of repressing the reptilian brain

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 22:13:13 PDT 2008

Bacon isn't the scientific revolution. He was a lawyer and a politician who wrote some essays and books _about_ how to do natural philosophy. As far as I know his main attempt to contribute positively to natural philosophy was to attempt to stuff a dead chicken with snow, testing the hypothesis that cold slows decay, which attempt shortly thereafter lead to his own demise. Bacon's philosophy of science is also not as primitively inductivist as it's sometimes painted.

But with respect to Donne, you have to recall that the scientific revolution was not very far advanced when he wrote the poems people write about. Copernicus had published, Donne certainly knew his conclusions and that some people were taking them seriously, but he certainly didn't have the math or the technical ability to read De Revolutionibus. (Like who does? In his day, maybe three people. In ours, maybe 50. Maybe.) Kepler had published, but his stuff was extremely obscure and I don't think anything in Donne picks up on anything but the most general sorts of ideas you find in Kepler, there's nothing that refers to Kepler's discovery that the orbits of the planets are elliptical or that their revolution sweeps out equal areas in equal times, etc. Galileo's Two World Systems wasn't published till 1632, a year after Donne was dead, although some of Galileo's work, e.g., The Starry Messenger, was out and about twenty years earlier. Descartes, Hobbes,

Boyle, much less Newton -- all these were post-Donne.

So what Donne had to react against wasn't the Principia with its austere mathematicization of the world, but a somewhat inchoate current of ideas very much in formation; He showed an amazing sense of where things were going, but it was a good intuitive guess, not a reaction to a finished system of the sort that Newton didn't get around to actually publishing till 1687, 56 years after the bell tolled for Donne.

Joanna and Carrol know way more about Donne that I ever will, but I used to do this scientific revolution stuff. Like Dr. Science, I even have a Master's Degree in HPS! I'm astounded that I remember this much of it. It's been a long time. But that was in another country (literally), and besides, the wench is dead. (Actually, I just looked her up -- my old HPS teacher Mary Hesse -- and I am happy to say that she is still with us. Mary's great.)