[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 19 08:49:15 PDT 2008

[from The Note]

Obama goes into this phase with a new shield on his suit jacket: "The flag pin that appeared on Barack Obama's lapel is just the opening salvo of Operation Patriotism for the Democratic presidential candidate," Julianna Goldman writes for Bloomberg News. "Obama plans to use speeches and campaign events to reinforce his patriotic image to America by evoking his grandparent's military background. He also plans to speak sometime this summer near Punchbowl National Cemetery in Honolulu, where his grandfather is buried."

Obama on "GMA," on the flag pin: "I've had so many supporters, a lot of them veterans, who have been handing me flag pins, saying, 'Barack, we know how patriotic you are. And, you know, do us a favor. We would appreciate it if you wore it.' Partly just -- not because I think they wanted proof of patriotism, but they wanted the issue taken off the table."