[lbo-talk] "promised"

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon May 19 17:28:49 PDT 2008

I went to see the ballet "Sleeping Beauty" this weekend and it occurred to me what the whole fantasy is behind this story: A girl sleeps her way through adolescence, to be woken only by the man who will marry her. I think Bruno Bettelheim had a similar interpretation. (Pricking her finger and bleeding = menstruation.)

Anyway, sitting there next to my fourteen-year old daughter, I could see the appeal of this story.

So, I assume that's part of the thinking behind the purity thing.

On the other hand I have always thought that there's more to virtue in action than in denial.

My own private fantasy is that my daughter will explore sex with another woman until she gets to the age where men actually know what they're doing. And even if they don't, by that time, she'd be able to show them.

Sigh,

Joanna

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: WD <mister.wd at gmail.com>