[lbo-talk] If you support AT&T - you support Bush

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 20 11:18:37 PDT 2008

Don -

I don't know how much they're paying Alternet for this, but did you do any research before you signed the endorsement?

Credo doesn't have a network of its own - it contracts with Sprint (which is busily losing customers because of poor coverage). According to OpenSecrets

<http://opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00089342&cycle=2004>

Sprint's PAC gave 65% of its money to Republicans in the 2004 election cycle.

In the 2006 cycle, it gave 54% to Republicans

<http://opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00089342&cycle=2006>.

In the 2008 cycle so far, it's given 39% to Republicans

<http://opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00089342&cycle=2008>,

though obviously they're following the polls.

In the 2004 cycle, AT&T gave 64% to Republicans - almost exactly what Sprint did. In 2006, it was 65%; in 2008, 58%. Their latest numbers are more Republican than Sprint's, but really, the claim that there's a major difference between Sprint and AT&T is fanciful. I'm distressed to see Alternet doing a corporate endorsement like this.

Doug Henwood Left Business Observer 38 Greene St - 4th fl. New York NY 10013-2505 USA <dhenwood at panix.com> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com>

voice +1-212-219-0010 cell +1-917-865-2813

producer, Behind the News Thursdays, 5-6 PM, WBAI, New York 99.5 FM Saturdays, 10-11 AM, KPFA, Berkeley 94.1 FM

<http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html> podcast: <http://shout.lbo-talk.org/lbo/radio-feed.php> iTunes: <http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/ viewPodcast?id=73801817>

download my book Wall Street (for free!) at <http://www.wallstreetthebook.com>