[lbo-talk] If you support AT&T - you support Bush

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 12:51:15 PDT 2008

Generally speaking if you buy a product or a service from a large corporation, some of your money goes to support bad things. Corporations use their profits from your purchases in part to further their interests in keeping themselves in hog heaven.

Moreover, all the stuff you buy is generated by exploitation (duh that's how capitalism works), and much of it by oppression. Do you drive a union-made car, eat only food produced by cooperatives, wear only UNITE-labeled clothes and avoid stuff made in China, Indonesia, Myanmar, or North Carolina? Do you invest (if you have a 401(k) or a 403(b) you invest) only in socially conscious funds or shares? I thought not.

I don't see the point in trying to be pure for the sake of purity. If there is an organized boycott for some reason that makes a difference. And there's a personal conscience issue, but if you avoid "blood diamonds," for example, you have to recognize that the owners of the mines don't really care what you, personally do, and it makes no difference to their practices unless there is organized opposition. I use an NLG American Express card, I think the Guild gets a little bit of money from that, otherwise, it's just AMEX. I count going with Credo (who are apparently hypocrites and liars as well as guilt-trippers) or Working Assets or a NLG Amex Card as a personal-conscience thing.