[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Tue May 20 17:10:28 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Now that I'm way past draft age, I see the virtue of a draft. We
> would not be in Iraq with a draft army. The imperialists realized
> that you need a professional army to be a proper imperialist power.
>
> And in a non-imperial power, with a genuine self-defense force,
> universal service seems hard to argue with.

You're right probably that we wouldn't be in Iraq with a draft army. I'm not sure how many other imperial adventures would have been avoided with a draft though -- probably Yugoslavia too.

My worry is that a draft would spread and strengthen martial values, which is something the U.S. definitely doesn't need. Don't a lot of conservatives blame "Vietnam Syndrome" on the fact that too few Americans have served in the military?

-WD