[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed May 21 07:44:11 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 08:57 PM 5/19/2008, John Thornton wrote:
>

> >It's no more difficult to change an automatic rifle that was "disabled"
>

> btw, when I said what Jerry was talking about was a different thing I
> meant in terms of legality.
>
> Jerry wrote in response to Jordan:
>

> >it's my understanding that if
> > > you want to keep your issued rifle after your period of service is over
> > > in the Swiss Militia, the full-auto feature is disabled.
> > >
> > > /jordan
> > >

> >In the U.S.A. we think it is our God Given 2d Amendment Right to disable
> >anything that would disable an automatic rifle.
>

> This is the kind of anti-gun argument that makes people look like
> Kevin James on Hardball the other night:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YN1qgb9Oe0

Question: What makes you think I am anti-gun?

In fact I am quite pro-gun. Before I moved to New York I owned a shotgun, a rifle, and a revolver. I would own these things now if I had a place to put them and I still went hunting as I did in my youth. My personal position on guns is not much different than Tom Pain's: An organized and armed populace is a guarantee of liberty. The real question here is: Who-whom? Who is doing the organizing and for whom is the organizing for?

So yes if we were organized into armed militias by the Teamsters and the UAW and the IWW I would hope that every man, woman and child over 13 could have their own rifle to take home and show up for militia duty at a moments notice.

As far as my statement-joke on the 2d Amendment.... I grew up with 2d Amendment nuts who said this kind of thing to me all the time. They believe, truly believe, that owning a gun is part of God's will and that is why it is part of the Bill of Rights.

On Swiss banks and the funding of war the question is Carrol is right but the question is more complicated. A number of neutral countries in Europe during the Great European Civil Wars of the 19th and 20th centuries made huge amounts of money brokering the wars. For example, I am critically envious of the Swedish welfare state, but one thing that social democrats rarely mention about Sweden is that it profited tremendously from selling for and banking for both sides in many European wars.

The complication with Switzerland is even deeper. For example one might say that Switzerland siphoned off as much capital from Germany during both World Wars as it acted as bankers for the warriors. On the other hand I know that General Electric obtained profits from its German branches funneled through Swiss banks during World War II. It was Dulles, who was at the time a lawyer at Sullivan & Cromwell, who set up this system of corporate connections between U.S. corporations and German corporations through Swiss intermediaries. Who benefited most by this collaboration? I don't know. I know it wasn't unions, left-wingers, Jews, or Gypsies. Either way Carrol is right, neutrality was profitable to the Swiss Banks.

Jerry