[lbo-talk] the flag pin, etc.

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:16:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 9:22 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 2008, at 8:10 PM, WD wrote:
>
>> My worry is that a draft would spread and strengthen martial values,
>> which is something the U.S. definitely doesn't need.
>
> Ever read this?
>
> <http://chss.montclair.edu/english/furr/Vietnam/heinl.html>.

All this suggests is that a vibrant anti-military culture can thrive even with a draft. Well sure. But it took more than six years and many thousands of U.S. dead (roughly 48k btw. '64 and '70) in Vietnam to get to the point where the esteemed Colonel was writing.

I doubt it would take anywhere near that many (U.S.) casualties to create a similar social climate in the U.S. against the Iraq war. Barring something huge, the Iraq war will basically be over (for the U.S. anyway) way before Americans even contemplate 10K U.S. dead.

-N