[lbo-talk] Oil soars to new record over $135

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 12:27:06 PDT 2008

http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/poverty_pendulum_swings_press.php?page=all

> Poverty Pendulum Swings, Press Yawns
>
> The recent news from the Brookings Institution
> that more Americans now live in poverty in
> suburbs than in cities has not been well covered by
> the press.

[WS:] Interesting. There are poor suburbs around Baltimore, but I did not think of it as a national trend. Even interesting is that suburban living is far more expensive than urban living - heating, transportation, house maintenance etc. So perhaps moving to the burbs is the cause of poverty (or a contrbuting factor) rather than an uncorrelated backdrop. That is, these people are worse off because they moved to the burbs (or stay there instead of moving to the city) and have to pay more for thing shat would cost them less in the city.

Wojtek