[lbo-talk] more Juan Gonzalez on SEIU in PR

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 23 14:21:23 PDT 2008

<http://i1.democracynow.org/2008/5/23/juan_gonzalez_on_the_puerto_rico>

But the other interesting thing, I think, is that, you know, the SEIU, as we've covered on this broadcast, is in a major internal battle over its own democracy. And on May 31st, the day before the primary, SEIU's national convention is going to be down in Puerto Rico, and Obama is going to be leading a march or a rally, since they have endorsed Obama, on Saturday, May 31st. And the teachers' union of Puerto Rico, which is the largest union on the island, which was recently involved in a very bitter strike, where the SEIU sought to raid the teachers' union and to get their members to arrange a deal with the governor to have their members join the SEIU. So the teachers' union has called a major protest against the SEIU on Saturday, May 31st, when Obama is supposed to be speaking. There may be a very sharp confrontation there between unions, and Obama may be caught right in the middle of it, because he is going to be—supposed to be a speaker and participate in the SEIU rally. So we'll see how that turns out a week from Saturday.