[lbo-talk] Racism is normal

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri May 23 16:11:28 PDT 2008

Barry's campaign specifically does not feed a narrative complaining about either institutional/structural or so-called individual/personal racism.

^^^ I forgot to finish this. Barry's campaign doesn't complain about racism:

1) Because he can't win if he does, because most white people ain't hearing that from Black people. They twist it into accusing the Black complainer/protestor of "playing the race card", i.e. blame the victim and claim that they , the white person, are the victim of reverse racism. Thus, Rev. Wright is the racist because he protests racism. This is quintessential Reaganite racism, "reverse discrimination" doctrine. Today. It dominates over old time Jim Crow/KKK style racism. It is signaled by the overwhelming defeat of affirmative action, as in a constitutional amendment ballot initiative in Michigan recently, for example.

2) It marks the limit of Black protest against racism as the main way to fight racism, as in the Civil rights era. Black people's struggle against racism must be, in Barry campaign mode, i.e. appeals to Whites for unity and reconciliation, the Martin Luther King "dream" and moral mode.

3) And , as I've said since I first got on this list, it is White people who must be the main actors in changing us away from racism, as in voting for a Black person for President, also present in Barry's campaign , obviously.

The historical question before us is: Will White people (80% in the Oregon primary) or white people ( some huge percents in West Virginia and Kentucky primaries) pick the President this time ?