[lbo-talk] Barry wins the Sojourner Truth vote

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Sat May 24 09:54:00 PDT 2008

I've been saying this for a couple of months now.

Charles

Barack Obama Wins the Sojourner Truth Vote Run Date: 05/16/08

By Rev. Valda Jean Combs WeNews commentator West Virginia primary polling data has underscored Hillary Clinton's claim to the allegiance of white voters who aren't comfortable with black leadership. Rev. Valda Jean Combs says that helps explain why so many black women are going for Obama.

(WOMENSENEWS)--The post-primary polling data out of West Virginia this week has been hitting us with the central message that race strongly factored into Sen. Hillary Clinton's lopsided victory.

So now, as the race cards are spread right out there on the national table, I have a question: Does anyone still wonder why so many black women are going for Sen. Barack Obama?

Some of Clinton's backers this campaign season have tried to make a vote for their candidate seem like a vote for all women.

Younger women drawn to Obama's message of change have demurred. So have peace activist women horrified by Clinton's vote to authorize the use of force in Iraq.

Black women also have our own reasons--rooted in the history of this country and the two waves of women's rights activism--to make another choice. And I'd like to talk about that.

Full: http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/3602