[lbo-talk] Weimar on the Pacific

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun May 25 14:10:43 PDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 12:27 am, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Time speeded up like 20s newreels spinning off
> their cogs. Nothing could be torn down fast enough, so that half a street
> would look like a brick movie set from another age, while the next half of
> the street was all solid glass and aluminum. Atonal works that were high
> modernist expressionism in the 20s where now standard almost hack movie
> sound tracks to add a creepy feeling at special psychological moments,
> etc, etc. Doug played an early string quartet of Adorno's this morning on
> his radio show. It sounded like the musical Oklahoma gone insane.

And now the insanity (unsanity? nonsanity?) has gone virtual. What amazes me is the radicality of the videogame culture -- it's generating resistances far beyond anything the Hollywood auteurs ever created. Even a fairly mainstream franchise such as Grand Theft Auto 4 has oodles of anti-neoliberal, neocon-bashing humor.

-- DRR