[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue May 27 00:54:24 PDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> Just what does "your neighborhood mechanic" say about the world? He
> - and they're, what, 99% male, right? - is quite likely to say that
> global warming is a hoax, blacks have it too easy, the Ay-rabs
> wanna do us in, queers should just keep to themselves, etc. And just
> who do you have in mind as an archetypal "Theory professor"? I know
> one famous Theory professor who didn't know the difference between
> monetarism and supply side economics until I told him, but they're
> likely to be on the correct side of most of the questions that
> matter. Why should looking at the world from the underside of an
> automobile make you wiser than someone who reads, writes, and talks
> for a living?

If you compare the archetypal left-wing social theoretician with the entire population of US mechanics... then almost by definition, our ideal theoretician will align more with people reading the Left Business Observer forum.

And this ideal Theory Prof is very subjective. Some guy who writes for the Wall St. Journal's opinion pages might construct a different view, like one based on that Dartmouth teacher who had serious problems in some undergrad class: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120995103004666569.html

Incidentally, I delved deeper into the WSJ story, and the prof discussed how a colleague explained that "the classroom is not a democracy and the way she runs her classroom is with an iron fist." The prof further claimed that while she's "a little more lenient" than that, "I think a lot of professors are like, I'm the boss of the classroom and you listen to me, and that's probably the norm." About her disrespectful students, she claimed:

"The fact of the matter is that by being so arrogant about their

command of knowledge about arguing with me about every point that

I was making and that's really arrogant. That's very arrogant

because frankly, and I'm not trying to be an academic elitist, but

frankly, they don't even have a B.A. They're freshmen. They're

freshmen. The maturity that they had, and I think that's what it

is, I think it's a lack of maturity, I don't think it's any

character flaw, I just think it's a lack of maturity and when they

grow up they'll find that it's really tough to succeed in the real

world and I really will start respecting my professor."

http://dartlog.net/2008/04/tdr-interview-priya-venkatesan.php

Whatever went on in this odd case, I think it demonstrates that not only does the "correctness" of someone's opinions count, but also how they actually act when they achieve a position of a little power over others.

And that said, I once met a really cool mechanic who focussed on preventative maintenance, and people came from neighboring states because they trusted him. He respected people regardless of gender, sharply questioned why an ecovillage I was visting offered to send him a newsletter by snailmail when there's email, etc. I don't know what he's like to coworkers, but we might sketch out the ideal leftist mechanic...

(Incidentally, I don't really understand Avery Colter's point that you were responding to.)

Tayssir