[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue May 27 14:41:33 PDT 2008

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:
> One problem with this operation is that it seems to assume that
> someone who is a 'professor' is automatically engaged in something
> called 'theory.' Even in the humanities, it is not terribly difficult
> to find professors who reject 'theory' from a variety of positions.

Yes. "Theory" is a part of the academic culture of a few select disciplines (e.g., lit crit). If you bring up Foucault or Butler around faculty in most social science departments, you'll get a blank stare. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it's a testament to the insular culture of modern academic departments.

Miles