[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue May 27 14:35:59 PDT 2008

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> But as you know I think "heroism" itself is in need of critique. (If only
> Alexander had read the Iliad closely he might have realized that Achilles
> transcended the hero that Alexander mistakenly took him for.)

Sudden thought, undeveloped. It was, of course, Achilles _moira_ (share, portion) to _be_ that hero "Alexander mistakenly took him for," and hence his transcendence of that role provides a glimpse of the subrtlety with which not only 'Homer' but the Athenian tragedieans handled that concept. One could not avoid one's share, but there were ways and ways of responding. I presume Marx's "Men make their own history but...." was in part an attempt to theorize that.

Carrol