[lbo-talk] The Party Travels at Mach Speed: Iron Man, Real and Imagined

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:02:12 PDT 2008

Chris Doss:

I take it the movie removed Tony Stark's alcoholism, which is a major theme in the comic?

Years ago, I dated a young woman whose father always seemed to have a drink in his hand; scotch, to be precise.

Throughout the day, Mr. L. would take slow, loving sips from his glass, pause, savor his drink's qualities and tell stories about Sherman tanks or the engineering of elevated train networks or the 3rd dynasty of ancient Egypt or the inconsistent effectiveness of Masers against kaiju.

I suppose he was an alcoholic but of a certain kind -- functional and philosophical. And he liked me. I liked his daughter. It worked out for everyone.

In the movie, that's the kind of drinking Tony does. He has a glass (scotch, I think) with him while riding in a Humvee that's tumbling down a dusty, Afghan road. He gets toasted on warm sake on board his plane. His office seems to be outfitted with a variety of spirits. Alcohol is never far away.

Perhaps, as Dennis says, the sequels will show him losing his lunch behind a Nobu or seeing hairy spiders.

We'll see.

.d.