[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu May 29 18:30:48 PDT 2008

i guess i didn't explain myself. i know how orientalism is normally used. i have never heard it applied to maoist influences in feminism -- which, from my reading, came from the fact that a certain strand of the women's movement evolved out of leftist groups influenced by maoism. consciousness raising is typically thought to derive from the civil rights movement, specifically blacks' use of "rap sessions".

as to carrol's concern with whether or not consciousness raising was effective -- i'm not sure what he means but, if by effective we mean something like a powerful way to bring people into the movement, by all accounts it was extraordinarily effective -- from the subjective point of view of the women who've written about the experience. my own mother was influenced by it as the concept moved out into the wider world, she and her friends certainly had their views shaped in powerful ways that moved them to act -- e.g., my mom got involved in a battered women's shelter. sitting at her feet as a youngster, i overheard their CR discussions and it certainly influenced me in small ways that would come to matter later.

perhaps not effective in the way carrol means, consciousness raising was influential. it became a powerful force for the development of feminist theories, for instance -- which MacKinnon tried to articulate as a kind of method for feminist theoretical development. her work, and others, would so powerfully shape people involved in understanding how societies changed that it changed the face of sociological and political theory -- of both what we call the metatheory sort (conventionally understood as ontology, epistemology, metaphysics) and the empirical theory sort (the kind of theory that uses the results of empirical studies (both postivist and interpretive) to generate theory.

the feminist movement, then, was seen for awhile as *the* example of the productive interrelationship between theory and political practice -- where the two mutually inform one another.

shag