[lbo-talk] Haaretz rumored to have fired two star journalists

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu May 29 23:13:56 PDT 2008

Haaretz Rumored to Have Fired Amira Hass and Meron Rapoport

Jerry Haber The Magnes Zionist Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I just heard rumors that two of Haaretz's best investigative journalists, Amira Hass and Meron Rapoport, will no longer be employed by the newspaper.

Amira Hass, Israel's prize-winning journalist, has been on sabbatical from Haaretz and will not be returning (according to the rumors.) I don't know anything more than that, including whether the decision was a mutual one.

The rumors about Rapoport are more disturbing. Hass is an established journalist and will land on her feet. Rapoport is not as well-known but has his finger on the pulse of events going on in the army and in the territories. He is an extraordinary and valuable resource on exposing the sins of the Occupation. From what I have heard, he was fired, pure and simple.

That's all I know, folks. I would love to get emails from Rapoport and Hass saying that the report of their firings has been greatly exaggerated. I will update you on this as the facts become known.

By the way, if you are wondering about Gideon Levy, I am told that as a member of Haaretz's editorial board, he has sufficient clout with the publisher. On the other hand, I would have said the same thing about the others.

http://themagneszionist.blogspot.com/2008/05/haaretz-rumored-to-have-fired-a mira.html