[lbo-talk] Marxist agitprop!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 30 05:41:54 PDT 2008

<http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/ 2008/06/09/080609crci_cinema_lane?currentPage=all>

[Anthony Lane]

....It’s true that Samantha finally disposes of one paramour, but only with a view to landing another, and her parting shot is a beauty: “I love you, but I love me more.” I have a terrible feeling that “Sex and the City” expects us not to disapprove of that line, or even to laugh at it, but to exclaim in unison, “You go, girl.” I walked into the theatre hoping for a nice evening and came out as a hard-line Marxist, my head a whirl of closets, delusions, and blunt- clawed cattiness....