[lbo-talk] The Party Travels at Mach Speed: Iron Man, Real and Imagined

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 30 14:28:26 PDT 2008

Matt wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:27:40AM -0700, Chris Doss wrote:
>
> > Well, 99.xxxx% of beliefs are irrational. For
> > instance, I believe in the existence of this planet
> > called "Jupiter," and that it is really, really big
> > and largely composed of gas. I have never actually
> > seen Jupiter, but I have read about its existence and
> > heard about it from people who I believe are in a
> > position to know about such things. My belief in the
> > existence of Jupiter, and my ideas about its nature,
> > are based entirely on things I have heard from people
> > I recognize as authorities. It is no different,
> > subjectively, from the attitude of a medieval peasant
> > taking the words of a cleric as authoritative.

This kind of nonsensical but very hip skepticism is what some people (freej)-associate with that legendary entity, post-modernism. Such exists and what to call it would get us in a long series of quibbles over words: Does the WORD "post-modernism" _really_ mean this or that or something else. And round and round we go. But this attitude is rightly dismissed with a large guffaw regardless of what we want to call it.

Carrol