[lbo-talk] The Nation does CNA-SEIU

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:38:07 PDT 2008

I should be more explicit about the areas where I think seiu is weak and needs improvement, as well as the things I'm just outright opposed to and think are fucked up.

-External organizing for new members is rightly the priority, but SEIU doesn't always put enough emphasis on the internal organizing with your existing membership. -Staff should be worked a bit less hardcore so more people can remain organizers for decades instead of years. -Fuck Andy Stern, I hope he retires tomorrow. No, today. Certainly he and his team have a great record administrating the organizing juggernaut but he frequently makes fucked-up assertions that in fact run counter to the union's stated position. I have no trust in him politically. Anyone on the exec board would make a better union prez than he is now, except maybe Burger. Unfortunately, the gossip does seem to indicate she might be maneuvering to get it. -On issues like single payer healthcare, I do think it makes sense to help pass what compromises are politically feasible to make general improvements. But I also think a social movement can make such compromises while still affirming principles and goals and continuing to move towards them. I.e., if we can't get nationwide single payer then lets' get whatever we can to broaden coverage, but let's still try to get single payer, and say its what we'd prefer, and pass it where it might be possible. -I wish SEIU would more consciously position itself as part of the left. Like UNITE HERE and 1199. -There's plenty of truth to what people say about members not being involved enough in the creation and implementation of these big complex campaigns and strategies. Easier said than done, but, we should do better.

Jim, I'll concede that Esther's piece is more balanced than anything