[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri May 30 16:14:17 PDT 2008

At 04:27 PM 5/30/2008, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>At 01:15 PM 5/30/2008, Carrol Cox wrote:
>

> >I'm not sure what the "this" of "this is even wrong" is pointing to.
> >What is not wrong?
>

>That calling something "theory" is prompted by wanting to make it
>like science.

heh. i remember treading pretty lightly in spaces devoted to discussion of lit theory and cultural studies where people who studies sociology were seen as archaic holdovers still doing that silly positivist research stuff. and even if you were doing qualititative research there was the antipathy to anything that was empirical -- because of the postmodernist critique of the colonizing impulses of all the social sciences which were understood to be tools of imperialsm, racism, genocide, cultural destruction, etc. etc.