[lbo-talk] The business of being born

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat May 31 23:27:16 PDT 2008

I saw a documentary called "The Business of Being Born," which looks at the technology/business of being born in the U.S. and questions our current approach, which is actually resulting in a 33% caesarean rate...40% in some parts of New York.

Now, these are insane numbers. Utterly insane. The U.S. is the only developed country with these kinds of numbers. The reasons behind it are mostly ideological (the whole birthing business has a very sad and horrific history in modern medicine).

But what really confuses me is why the Insurance companies are putting up with it. I mean, not only do they have to pay more, but there are proven, workable alternatives.

Any ideas? I do recommend the documentary. It's not super great, but it's good enough, to get you thinking. Netflix has it.

Joanna