[lbo-talk] WJC and SSI

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 1 12:43:49 PDT 2008

Andy wrote:

> I've heard speculation (maybe here) that l'affaire Lewinsky prevented
> Clinton from pushing social security privatization. Were there any
> concrete proposals to do so under his administration?

Many (including me) have so speculated. In a speech in New Mexico Clinton said something like we have to study Social Security. (It may have been stronger than that.) The thing is, _even to open up discussion on the funding of SS was in practice to attack SS. And the WSJ in an editorial at the time triumphantly made this point. Clinton has raised the question and now it can't be put back in the bottle. There was discussion of that speech and that editorial on the old Spoons marxism list which was the predecessor of this list. I don't know whether those archives are available at all or in searchable form.

Carrol