[lbo-talk] competence, not ideology ... again

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Sun Nov 2 18:48:36 PST 2008

[Rotwang offers perspective to Obamaniacs:]

Not to count any unhatched chickens, but I'd like to gently remind all you Obamaniacs that the Democratic candidate is running on tax cuts, enlarging the military, expanding the invasion of Afghanistan, and sustaining the grip of private insurance companies on the nation's health care system. Our likely Secretary of the Treasury and economic policy czar is Larry Summers, who to the best of my knowledge has never worn love beads. Bush's Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, may stay on for a bit. Obama is running as the competent Republican. No doubt, a competent Republican is better than an incompetent Republican, especially if he or she happens to be a Democrat.

In a liberal alternative universe, you would not be able to win an election on such a platform. We are not in that universe. Does that mean nothing good can be expected from a Democratic victory? Not at all. It's just that there are still miles to go on the road to peace and justice. (By the way, Noam Chomsky advises people in swing states to vote Obama, without illusions.)

<http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/11/01/running_man/>